I’ve been an avid reader since the 1980’s. When it comes to gaining an edge, I’ve read everything from Napoleon Hill, Dennis Waitley, Brian Tracey, Robert Kiyosaki, Og Mandino, Zig Ziglar, and Stepehen Covey to Anthony Robbins just to mention…
“Not another Blog!” That’s the way I feel about it too! My Name is Doug, well legally its Douglas, but I go by Doug and welcome to my blog and Author web site.
So why is a guy that has avoided social media like the plague and says “Oh No, not another Blog,” now writing one? And what’s different about this one?
WHY AM I DOING THIS?
- For Good Influence: I have avoided the internet sharing and social media sites over the years because I didn’t want to be a part of the negative conflicts and dissensions I frequently heard about associated with it. However, while involved with a recent project in route to publishing my novel entitled “The Last Prayer,” I began considering a change. Then one of the characters in my novel referred to a concept of “Rising Up.” This character referenced the “calm of the sea as being the same waters that have the capacity of becoming the tremendous force and change of the tidal wave or tsunami. The difference is whether it “rises up.” He compares that to the potential influence of us as individuals. Often we tend to “hide our light under a bushel” as it was once put, never releasing the influences for good that we are capable of. In that character, I realized that perhaps the online contention I avoided, existed in part because those who would contribute to good, have like me avoided the medium, rather than “rising up” and contributing to good. So here I will do my part.
- To Fulfill Requests: I have often been asked to share my thoughts and when doing so, afterward been told, “I never thought of it that way.” I’ve often been told I have a unique perspective and ability to explain in an understandable fashion.
- For Personal Fulfillment: Thru my professional career I have trained and taught routinely in a variety of professional subjects. A little over a decade ago I began writing for personal expression, and inspiration. I now am expanding that audience with this endeavor and the release of my approaching novel.
WHAT’S DIFFERENT ABOUT THIS BLOG?
- It will remain relevant: I’ve had several blogs that I enjoyed … at least at first. Then as they tried to increase or maintain frequency, the content moved from truly unique and relevant to an obvious grasping for content in the effort to blog because it’s time to do so again based on a stated schedule. In one case where I very much enjoyed the content initially, as the frequency increased my view of receiving the new content went from one of “interest and anticipation,” to one of “this is getting to be spam.” One in every three or four articles maintained the character and quality they initially held and my interest waned. For that reason, contrary to the “industry standard” of always be posting, I’ll typically only post when there is relevance in doing so- the blogging text rendition of “only speak when you have something to say. “ The posts may be even less frequent or at least much shorter as I complete my novel.
- It will be encouraging and widely applicable: As I have traveled and met many people, I recognize the value of learning by “principle and parable”. When we learn in principles, we can take the lesson learned and apply it in multiple situations and areas of our lives as the principle remains constant, but the circumstances may vary. For example, “Treat others as you would like to be treated” is a principle that when applied on a personal level, can enhance your relationships. Yet when applied on a professional level in business toward your customers or coworkers, it can improve your workplace atmosphere, return customer patronage increasing sales and profits as well. Principles are powerful to leverage multiple benefits from, once grasped as in that previous example. Parables often allow a principle or lesson to be taught and “truly received” as the subject of a parable is always someone else. This allows us to take in the lesson without defensiveness from feelings of criticism since the subject was someone else. Having internalized the lesson of another, we are then able to in our own time recognize the principle and possibly its application and opportunities for improvement in our own circumstances when they later arise. Whether presented in seriousness, story form, or humor, this is why I promote the combination of Principle and Parable.
- It will promote and share Understanding: True understanding is powerfully overlooked and undervalued. When we truly understand, we make better decisions for ourselves. When we understand each other, we achieve greater empathy, acceptance, harmony, and service. There is no monopoly on understanding, and we as individuals often achieve understanding in different ways, thru different experiences and as the result of timing or specific events in our lives that prepare us. So this blog may also pay tribute to others at times. There are those famous and not famous that I have seen touch the lives of others in positive and supporting ways. I’d like to point out some of them from time to time.
Will You Rise Up?
- Perhaps this topic if rising up for good needs more attention-perhaps more adoptees?
What do you think?
- I began by saying I wanted to promote good influence.
Will you help me?
- Like or Share. The character in my approaching novel that spoke of the “calm sea” and the “tidal wave” being akin to keeping your gifts and influence to yourself described a principle that can apply here in the online world as well. I hope you like this content, and then choose to say so. The “like” however, is the “self-contained” expression or the “calm sea version” if you will. My real hope is that you will “rise up” and spread the influence of this idea by sharing this post and its content with others by using “Sharing” it on each of your websites, Facebook and other social media pages of yours.
Until next time- Doug